liberal : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a person who favors a political philosophy of progress and reform and the protection of civil liberties
- n a person who favors an economic theory of laissez-faire and self-regulating markets
- s showing or characterized by broad-mindedness
a liberal newspaper
- s having political or social views favoring reform and progress
- a tolerant of change; not bound by authoritarianism, orthodoxy, or tradition
- s given or giving freely
a liberal backer of the arts
- s not literal
- Iowa Representative Edward Clayton Eicher's father was the kind of liberal who got kicked out of his Amish church for preaching that Amishmen should be allowed to wear buttons on .
- The former Veep is assisting in an effort to create a liberal alternative to conservative talk radio, and is exploring a cable television venture.
- Two famed New England colleges an nounced that they would build elaborate new art centers to strengthen the role of the creative arts in the life of the liberal arts.
News & Articles
- Mildred Siemens
LIBERAL - Mildred Siemens was a true pioneer woman. She moved to Liberal, Kansas, on April 6, 1946, ...
June 16, 2013 - Hutchinson News
- Rossi gets associate dean post in Liberal Arts
Marion Rossi, the director of the School of Arts and Communication and associate professor of theater arts, has been appointed associate dean in Oregon State University’s College of Liberal Arts.
June 15, 2013 - Corvallis Gazette-Times
- The liberal case for high-tech NSA surveillance
President Obama is not violating his liberal principles by defending the NSA. He is exercising them.
June 13, 2013 - The Week via Yahoo! News
- Mitt Romney in Guardian Unlimited
For these reasons I aim to form a proper and full coalition between the conservatives and the liberal democrats. I believe that is the right way to provide this country with the strong, the stable, the good and decent government that I think we... David Cameron http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Cameron&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNE3fAq8g6-iI8HkyqcCrBC0CERH6Q Examiner.com http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.examiner.com/x-43367-International-Headlines-Examiner~y2010m5d11-Britain-Prime-Minister-David-Cameron-steps-up-as-Gordon-Brown-steps-down-Speech-Video-Photos&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNHR9fHSfNxd1Ao_JzTxebNpd9cs4Q May 11, 2010
57975 77215 liberal If you ask people, 'look at the three things Senator McCain has done as a senator,' if you want that kind of a liberal Democrat course as president, then you can vote for him," Romney told campaign workers who would be manning his phone banks...
- Hu Jintao in Times Online
Well, I say to them tonight, there is not a liberal America and a conservative America -- there is the United States of America. There is not a black America and white America and Latino America and Asian America -- there is the United States of... Barack Obama http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNHQ0yfPaaXFGqLKymRgcres0I2nuA CNN http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/07/27/dems.obama/&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNHjMoHe_xe-d-uq9SqZNQ7NRL_zQw Jul 27, 2004
57977 77219 liberalisation We must continue to promote trade and investment liberalisation and facilitation and oppose protectionism in all its manifestations, particularly the unreasonable trade and investment restrictions imposed on developing countries," Mr Hu said.