- a being or occurring at an advanced period of time or after a usual or expected time
late 18th century
a late movie
took a late flight
had a late breakfast
- s after the expected or usual time; delayed
a belated birthday card
I'm late for the plane
the train is late
- s of the immediate past or just previous to the present time
a late development
their late quarrel
- s having died recently
her late husband
- a of a later stage in the development of a language or literature; used especially of dead languages
- a at or toward an end or late period or stage of development
the late phase of feudalism
a later symptom of the disease
later medical science could have saved the child
- s (used especially of persons) of the immediate past
our late President is still very active
- r later than usual or than expected
the train arrived late
we awoke late
the children came late to school
I belatedly wished her a happy birthday
- r to an advanced time
talked late into the evening
- r at an advanced age or stage
she married late
undertook the project late in her career
- r in the recent past
lately the rules have been enforced
as late as yesterday she was fine
feeling better of late
- A one-stop shop for the latest political happenings at any hour of the day.
- But by the time he sounded the alarm, it may have been too late.
- The son of late Philippine leader Corazon Aquino announced Wednesday he will run for president next year to continue the legacy of his mother, who became the country's democracy .
- President Bush in Times Online
Some say the gains we are making in Iraq come too late,Mr Bush said. "They are mistaken. It is never too late to deal a blow to al-Qaeda. It is never too late to advance freedom. And it is never too late to support our troops in a fight...
- Harry Reid in The Associated Press
We will vote on this measure again once there is a replacement named for the late Sen. Byrd,Reid said.
- Conan O Brien in Philadelphia Inquirer
Doing so, O'Brien wrote, would "seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. 'The Tonight Show' at 12:05 simply isn't 'The Tonight Show.' Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the 'Late...