landline : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a telephone line that travels over terrestrial circuits
- Most landline infrastructure was installed years, and in some cases decades, ago.
- If you have a landline, you can run both into the phone, receiving calls from either line as they come in.
- The Federal Competition Commission has announced that it will soon begin an investigation into whether Telmex, which has about 90% of Mexico's landline market, and America Movil .
News & Articles
- New bill prepares PA's 911 system for the future
New legislation will help align funding for the 911 system now and in the future, Pennsylvania Emergency Management Director Glenn Cannon said Tuesday in a press release. Governor Tom Corbett signed House Bill 583 into law on May 21. In the past, the 911 funding system depended largely on landline customers, but more people are abandoning landlines for other forms of communication. As a result ...
June 18, 2013 - WHP CBS 21 Harrisburg
- Summer camp students visit Richland security lab
Physicist Bob Runkle used a double-gloved hand to point to a landline telephone on a counter in a laboratory 30 feet underground.
June 17, 2013 - Seattle Times
- Landline 911 restored in SE Calhoun Co.
Landline 911 service is back up in southeast Calhoun County.
June 13, 2013 - WOOD TV 8 Grand Rapids
- Vincent Illuzzi in Rutland Herald
The proposed purchase and sale was entered into when it seemed like most in the telecommunications industry knew that FairPoint was paying way too much for a slowly dying landline business with lots of antiquated equipment and systems,Illuzzi...
- George Osborne in The Guardian
We need investment in our digital infrastructure,Osborne said in his budget speech. "But the previous government's landline duty is an archaic way of achieving this, hitting 30 million households who happen to have a fixed telephone line....
- Richard Blumenthal in Connecticut Watchdog (blog)
Landline phone companies must be held to stronger - not slacker - service standards for the sake of public safety,Blumenthal said. "When phone companies fail to promptly repair or respond to out-of-service reports, consumers are left...