- v move or cause to move with a sudden jerky motion
- v disturb (someone's) composure
The audience was jolted by the play
- s bumped or shaken jerkily
the jolted passengers
- s disturbed psychologically as if by a physical jolt or shock
retrieved his named from her jolted memory
- In 1957 he jolted traditionalists by setting up a female branch at Karaouine, where the enrollment (6,325) now includes 1,197 women.
- The Secretary responded with a line so obscene and insulting to blacks that it forced him out of the Cabinet last week and jolted the whole Ford campaign.
- With Netflix, a company that mails DVDs to customers, who keep online queues of what they want to see next, the Silicon Valley entrepreneur jolted the likes of Wal-Mart and .
News & Articles
- FEMA Denies Assistance To West After Deadly Explosion
The small city of West that was rocked by a powerful and deadly explosion is being jolted again: This time by FEMA.
June 13, 2013 - CBS Dallas - Fort Worth
- Oxnard council meeting, with gavel clash, shows new dynamics in play
Before Oxnard's council meeting wrapped up at 3 a.m., chambers were jolted by a loud gavel strike from the mayor, who threatened to eject a colleague from the dais.
June 12, 2013 - Ventura County Star
- Kirkland family awakes to find SUV crashed into deck
A Kirkland family was jolted awake to find that a suspected drunken driver had smashed into the front deck of their house. Police said that around midnight, an SUV heading west on Northeast 124 th Street blasted through the intersection that ends in a “T” at 93rd Avenue Northeast. The SUV went up the home’s driveway and didn’t stop until it rammed into the deck. Police said the driver and her ...
June 10, 2013 - KIRO 7 Seattle-Tacoma
- Shoaib Akhtar in The Australian
I am breathing again, my life was jolted no-end by the ban. I can't describe the feeling,said Akhtar, who almost announced his retirement from cricket after the ban.
- Bode Miller in Forbes
If you've seen that course, there's not much room for another jolt of adrenaline once you're going down. You're already jolted pretty solid,Miller said with a grin.
- Wasim Bari in AFP
Latif was initially jolted by the incident but is now well,said Bari, a former Pakistan captain.