- n a Pashto term for a decision making assembly of male elders
- Mai, a 30-year-old woman who lives in the remote hamlet of Meerwala, was brutally and publicly gang-raped in June 2002 by four volunteers on the orders of a village court, or jirga.
- The Uzbeks do support a loya jirga, as do some other commanders, like Yousnou Kanuni from the Jamiat faction.
- Fires are expected to spread in the run-up to the loya jirga.
- Hamid Karzai in Reuters South Africa
It is a very happy event that the jirga between two countries was convened,Afghan President Hamid Karzai said in a short speech. "It is ending with good results, achievements and a message for both countries."
- Barack Obama in RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty
Washington has been clear that it has concerns over what conditions will govern the peace process, and today Obama said he "appreciated the president sharing his plans for the upcoming Consultative Peace Jirga, an important milestone that America...
- Mullah Mohammad Omar in Seattle Times
The ones who will take part in this jirga are the people who have been sold to foreigners, and they will not represent any tribe,Omar said.