- n a humorous anecdote or remark intended to provoke laughter
he laughed unpleasantly at his own jest
- n activity characterized by good humor
- v tell a joke; speak humorously
- v act in a funny or teasing way
- Intimates of the Prince of Wales lay back weakly in easy chairs and gasped that another jest like that from which they had just recovered would be the death of them.
- James Whitcomb Riley once wrote: And there's Gene Debs, a man that stands And jest holds out in his two hands As warm a heart as ever beat 'Twixt here and jedgment seat.
- No longer is the question the taunting jest of skeptics for whom unbelief is the test of wisdom and for whom Nietzsche is the prophet who gave the right answer a century ago.
News & Articles
- Hyperkin teases pixelated SNES-style USB / Bluetooth gamepads at E3 (hands-on)
Are the Super Nintendo gamepad's smoothly curved edges just too darn comfortable for your palms? You might want to check out Hyperkin's Pixel Art controller, an SNES-inspired USB controller rendered in the style of its time. Hyperkin quietly unveiled it on the E3 show floor, scattering boxed prototypes throughout its booth. Despite our jest, it's actually quite comfortable to hold and use, and ...
June 11, 2013 - Engadget
- Chipper tweets foot in mouth
Chipper Jones is hardly the first athlete to send a tweet filled with language that could certainly offend that is claimed to be in jest. Nor is he lacking in experience in sending such a tweet. But he did bring a new question into the equation: What if you end it with the acronym "Jk"?
June 10, 2013 - MSN
- Extra, Extra: Happy 8th Birthday Reddit!
Because you love classic ESPN sex scandals, check out today's end-of-day links: happy birthday Reddit, Bitch Sandwich Tumblr, "Infinite Jest" book club, Pussy Riot in NYC, and your dancing spirit animal. Don't forget to follow Gothamist on Twitter and like us on Facebook . You can also get the top stories mailed to you— sign up here . [ more › ]
June 7, 2013 - Gothamist
- President Bush in CNN Political Ticker
At Tuesday's event, Bush said that "lynching is not a word to be mentioned in jest. As a civil society, we should understand that noose displays and lynching jokes are deeply offensive. They are wrong. And they have no place in America today."
- John McCain in Newsweek
In case you've been missing it, Mitt has been doing such a great job lately on my behalf,McCain told donors at the Detroit Athletic Club. "I said only half in jest - he's doing a better job for me than he did for himself."
- Andy Roddick in ABC News
It was completely meant in jest,Roddick said. "I should know better. But listen, I joke all the time. I don't think anyone in their right mind takes me serious."