iron : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a heavy ductile magnetic metallic element; is silver-white in pure form but readily rusts; used in construction and tools and armament; plays a role in the transport of oxygen by the blood
- n a golf club that has a relatively narrow metal head
- n implement used to brand live stock
- n home appliance consisting of a flat metal base that is heated and used to smooth cloth
- v press and smooth with a heated iron
she stood there ironing
- s extremely robust
an iron constitution
- A strange wartime substitute was in the making last weeka substitute for scrap iron steel.
- Too much of a good thing? As almost everyone knows, iron is routinely added to "enriched" flour and bread because the element, needed to make hemoglobin, is.
- There are in the world just two exploited regions where vast iron ore deposits are so proximate to those of coal that cessation of iron and steel production at either one would .
News & Articles
- Iron Ore Shipping Rally Seen Extending as China Restock Starts
Rates to ship iron ore will extend gains as China starts replenishing stockpiles of the commodity used to make steel after prices fell, according to Arctic Securities ASA.
June 13, 2013 - Bloomberg
- 'Iron Man 3' plays at Sands Theatre in Brush
Science-fiction adventure "Iron Man 3" plays this week at the Sands Theatre in Brush. When Tony Stark's world is torn apart by a formidable terrorist called the Mandarin, he starts an odyssey of rebuilding and retribution.
June 13, 2013 - The Fort Morgan Times
- China to scrap iron ore import licence system -source
* China to ditch one-decade iron ore import licensing from H2 * Companies only require routine licenses to import iron ore By Ruby Lian and David Stanway SHANGHAI, June 13 (Reuters) - China plans to scrap its decade-old iron ore import licensing system this year, an industry source said on Thursday, a move that may further lift imports in a market that takes two-thirds of the world's ...
June 13, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Paul Goydos in The Canadian Press
There's no way I can hit a 7-iron 175. Not gonna happen, no matter how hard the wind's blowing,Goydos said. "Maybe at the British where the ball lands at 140 and bounces to 170. And I hit a 7-iron as good as I could hit it."
- Barack Obama in BBC News
Referring to the recent clampdown on the foreign media in Iran, Mr Obama said: "In 2009 no iron fist is strong enough to shut off the world from bearing witness to the peaceful pursuit of justice. Despite the Iranian government's efforts to expel...
- Phil Mickelson in The Associated Press
I had opportunities. I had a 15-foot eagle putt on 4, and I make par. That was frustrating. I have a 5-iron into 6, and I make par. That was frustrating,Mickelson said. "But at the turn, I was still under for my round. ...... All I had to...