- n oxygen deficiency causing a very strong drive to correct the deficiency
- Indeed, severe hypoxia, as scientists refer to the phenomenon, has been linked to the collapse of fisheries in the Baltic Sea, the Black Sea (which has since recovered) and a .
- And one of the first symptoms of hypoxia (insufficient oxygen) is a giddy self-assurance, a fine feeling that all's right with the world.
- Most common cause of death is brain damage from hypoxia (shortage of oxygen) caused by improper mixture of anesthetic gas, which should never contain less than 20% oxygen.
News & Articles
- NOAA, Partners Predict Possible Record-setting Deadzone for Gulf of Mexico
Also anticipating smaller hypoxia levels than in past in Chesapeake Bay Scientists are expecting a very large "dead zone" in the Gulf of Mexico and a smaller than average hypoxic level in the Chesapeake Bay this year, based on several NOAA-supported forecast models. NOAA-supported modelers at the University of Michigan , Louisiana State University , and the Louisiana Universities Marine ...
June 18, 2013 - USGS
- Glenn in FOXBusiness
Hypoxia affects people differently, and the rate of onset varies for each person,says Glenn Harmon, an aerospace physiologist and assistant professor of aeronautical science at Embry-Riddle. "Symptoms can include tunnel vision, nausea,...
- Robert Barham in Monroe News Star
This is not uncommon at all after a storm,Barham said. "There's so much debris and leaves that fall in waterways, and as it starts deteriorating, it binds the oxygen and causes a hypoxia situation."
- Jane Lubchenco in Science Daily (press release)
This system is normally healthy and productive,Lubchenco said. "But a change in ocean circulation appears to be shifting the system closer to a tipping point where the right conditions can kick it over the edge and into an hypoxia state....