hurdles : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a footrace in which contestants must negotiate a series of hurdles
- n a light movable barrier that competitors must leap over in certain races
- n an obstacle that you are expected to overcome
- n the act of jumping over an obstacle
- v jump a hurdle
- Minutes earlier, during a warm-up set of hurdles, Liu had grabbed his right leg, wincing in pain.
- There were numerous outstanding events: 1) The 400-metre hurdles race was won by George Taylor, Grinnell College, who reduced a world's record of 53 seconds to 52 610 .
- HurdlesChinaAge: 25 When Liu Xiang claimed victory in the 110-m hurdles in Athens, delivering China its first ever sprint gold, you could almost sense the alarm in the announcers .
News & Articles
- Military plans would put women in most combat jobs
WASHINGTON (AP) — Declaring "the days of Rambo are over," a top general said Tuesday that cultural, social and behavioral concerns may be bigger hurdles than tough physical fitness requirements for women looking to join the military's special operations units.
June 18, 2013 - Associated Press via Yahoo! News
- Officials: Boone hotel to clear several hurdles before reopening
A motel in Boone where three people died will have to clear several hurdles before reopening. The Best Western has been closed for 10 days after 11-year-old Jeffrey Williams from Rock Hill died from carbon monoxide. Police said the poisonous gas came from a hot water heater for the pool located below the room where Williams and his mother stayed. Daryl and Shirley Jenkins died in the same room ...
June 18, 2013 - WSOC-TV Charlotte
- Daunting hurdles to buying that first home
Daunting hurdles to buying that first home Times Union Copyright 2013 Times Union. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Updated 7:06 am, Monday, June 17, 2013 Jaime Harla wants to buy a house. A program manager at ARC of Rensselaer County, she works 12-hour shifts to make extra money and maintains near-perfect credit. But a home of her ...
June 17, 2013 - Albany Times Union
- Pervez Musharraf in FOXNews
But, in my eyes, I say with sorrow that some elements are creating hurdles in the way of democracy,said Musharraf. "I think this chaos is being created for personal interests and to harm Pakistan."
- Jeff Garcia in USA Today
We took a situation where things weren't looking good, with some major hurdles to overcome, and we found a way to win,said Garcia, who improved to 4-1 since replacing an injured Donovan McNabb. "It's this playoff mentality we've had over...
- Nawaz Sharif in International Herald Tribune
This is a flood of people. This flood will break all hurdles. This flood will, God willing, reach its destination,Sharif, widely viewed as Pakistan's most popular politician, told cheering party workers in the eastern city of Lahore.