- n a long loud emotional utterance
he gave a howl of pain
howls of laughter
their howling had no effect
- n the long plaintive cry of a hound or a wolf
- n a loud sustained noise resembling the cry of a hound
the howl of the wind made him restless
- v emit long loud cries
howl with sorrow
- v cry loudly, as of animals
The coyotes were howling in the desert
- v make a loud noise, as of wind, water, or vehicles
The wind was howling in the trees
- v laugh unrestrainedly and heartily
- Gibson finally lets out a tortured howl, digs vainly for a cigarette in his empty pack of Camels and turns the set into his own Thunderdome.
- It was South Carolina's turn to howl next.
- Global icons practice it in films like My Best Friend's Wedding, and steelworkers howl away in English towns, where "carry-okie" sounds like a cousin of "cash 'n' carry.
News & Articles
- Tarpon queen, birthday girl take first in Ladies Howl
BY MARCY SHORTUSE - Jill Chatham and the Jill Marie team had no idea whatsoever they had won first place in the 5th annual Ladies Howl at the Moon Tarpon Tournament until they heard Smitty, the head judge, role call the boats and fish caught near the end of the tournament.
June 7, 2013 - The Boca Beacon
- Silvia School fifth-grader takes top spot at spelling bee
The first round of the 25th annual Fall River Public Schools Fifth Grade Spelling Bee went swiftly and easily with all 39 children correctly spelling their word. They spelled “beam,” “fright,” “trout,” “mayor,” “foolish,” motel,” “remain,” “divide,” “soak,” “invent,” “burst,” “moss,” “howl,” “table,” and more.
June 7, 2013 - Fall River Herald News
- Around Town: Who's playing out in the Erie area, June 6 - 12
WOMAPALOOZA, WORLD OF MUSIC: Pothole, Joose, Good Weather For Ducks, Breckenwood, Glenn Rankin, Polaris Breach. 10:30 a.m. SLUGGER'S BLOCK PARTY:. Lucky Dog, Thirst 'n' Howl. 6 p.m.
June 6, 2013 - Erie Times-News
- Alexander Litvinenko in Reuters
You may succeed in silencing one man. But a howl of protest from around the world will reverberate, Mr. Putin, in your ears for the rest of your life. May God forgive you for what you have done,Litvinenko said in a statement read out by...