- n parasitic bloodsucking roundworms having hooked mouth parts to fasten to the intestinal wall of human and other hosts
- n infestation of the intestines by hookworms which enter the body (usually) through the skin
- And as far as the scientists could find out, the craving for dirt (known as geophagia) has nothing to do with hookworm, as many doctors firmly believe, for hookworm is very rare in .
- Three out of four own less than an acre of land, two out of three suffer from hookworm and malaria, nine out of ten are partially blind from the effects of bad water and .
- The first major evil that his trustees sought to cure: hookworm in the South.