high-sounding : Definition, Usages, News and More
- s pretentious (especially with regard to language or ideals)
a high-sounding dissertation on the means to attain social revolution
- Organized in 1927 to promote mutual understanding between the various branches of the industry, the high-sounding Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences now exists mainly for .
- Maurice Duplessis' Union Nationals swept to power in 1936, after 39 years of Liberal rule in Quebec, on the strength of some high-sounding oratory against trusts and political .
- But they were more like Grand Dukes than Czars: under their high-sounding titles, divided authority and lack of direction left them still snarled in invisible red tape.
News & Articles
- Congress To Eliminate The Debt By Not Counting It Anymore...
Submitted by Simon Black of Sovereign Man blog , You know the old rule of thumb about laws– The more high-sounding the legislation, the more destructive its consequences. Case in point, HR 3293– the recently introduced Debt Limit Reform Act . Sounds great, right? After all, reforming the debt seems like a terrific idea. Except that’s not what the bill really does. They’re not reforming anything ...
Oct. 29, 2013 - Zero Hedge
- Kofi Annan in BBC News
Mr Annan said: "This hall has heard enough high-sounding declarations to last us for some decades to come. We all know what the problems are and we all know what we have promised to achieve. What is needed now is not more declarations or promises,...
- Lalu Prasad in Times of India
All one hears is high-sounding rhetoric, giving false hopes to the people, as if a politician can develop the country in exclusion of individual participation and hard work of every Kenyan. While imagination and creativity are in order, pragmatism... Daniel arap Moi http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_arap_Moi&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNF7tR6SIjm7YiclWcgeN84hhRfyIQ People's Daily Online http://www.google.com/url?q=http://english.people.com.cn/90001/90777/6249867.html&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNGA4_NMxGVAfGcS48ObIcd6xgk9ag Aug 28, 2007
47102 64008 high-sounding That is why I said in my speech 'Maana ki badi-badi baatein karna hamen nahin aaya, magar dil par badi kaarigari se naam likhte hain' (I may not be good at high-sounding rhetoric. But I know how to earn goodwill)," Prasad said.