hedging : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n any technique designed to reduce or eliminate financial risk; for example, taking two positions that will offset each other if prices change
- n an intentionally noncommittal or ambiguous statement
when you say `maybe' you are just hedging
- v avoid or try to avoid fulfilling, answering, or performing (duties, questions, or issues)
- v hinder or restrict with or as if with a hedge
- v enclose or bound in with or as it with a hedge or hedges
- v minimize loss or risk
- And their frenzied jockeying for position suggests that power in Baghdad may soon once again be up for grabs and the smart politicians are hedging their bets.
- It is the nature of science to mix hope with hedging.
- While the actors' unions continue to spar, studios are hedging their bets when it comes to productions.
News & Articles
- Antero Resources LLC Revises 2013 Capital Budget and Updates Hedge Position
DENVER, June 13, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Antero Resources LLC (Antero) today revised its 2013 capital budget and provided a natural gas hedging update. 2013 Capital Budget Antero's Board of Directors has ...
June 13, 2013 - PR Newswire via Yahoo! Finance
- Portugal settles with JP Morgan over hedging contracts
LISBON (Reuters) - Portugal has reached an agreement with JP Morgan in a row over costly interest rate hedging contracts sold to state companies, the finance ministry said on Wednesday. The dispute, during which both sides threatened legal action at one point, stems from complex hedging products sold by various banks to companies such as the Lisbon and Porto metro operators. The government has ...
June 12, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- House passes bill to exempt automakers, other firms from some financial rules
-- The U.S. House on Wednesday overwhelmingly approved a bill to exempt automakers and other users of financial hedging from Wall Street regulations approved in 2010.
June 12, 2013 - Detroit News
- Joseph Crowley in NewsOK.com (registration)
Joseph Crowley, a Queens Democrat who participated in the call, said her answer "left open the possibility that she would do anything that she can to contribute toward a Democratic victory in November. There was no hedging on that. Whatever she can...
- Geoff Dixon in International Herald Tribune
Despite our fuel-hedging strategy, fuel surcharges, two separate across-the-board fare increases and a recruitment freeze,Dixon said, "we are not bridging the widening gap between the actual increase in the cost of fuel and the amount we...
- Chris Dodd in Reuters
This proposal addresses the underlying concern of putting depository funds at risk. ...... It puts a stop to proprietary trading, but also recognizes that there are legitimate hedging activities that banks need to engage in,Dodd said.