half-staff : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a position some distance below the top of a mast to which a flag is lowered in mourning or to signal distress
- Next the Danish flag and finally the NATO flag were raised and left to rest at half-staff.
- A flag flies at half-staff in honor of Ted Kennedy at the Kennedy family compound in Hyannis Port, Mass.
- Flags were lowered to half-staff.
News & Articles
- NJ flags to fly at half-staff for Gandolfini
TRENTON, N.J. (AP) — New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie has ordered flags to be flown at half-staff Monday in memory of "Sopranos" star and New Jersey native James Gandolfini.
June 21, 2013 - Associated Press via Yahoo! News
- Governor orders flags at half-staff to honor Gandolfini
Governor Chris Christie is ordering flags to fly at half-staff on all state buildings Monday to honor New Jersey native James Gandolfini. The 51-year-old Gandolfini died of a heart attack Wednesday. "It is with profound sadness that we mourn the loss of James Gandolfini," stated the governor. On Friday, Christie signed an executive order regarding the U.S. and state flags to recognize the ...
June 21, 2013 - WFMZ Eastern Pennsylvania and Western New Jersey
- Gov. Christie orders flags fly half-staff in memory of James Gandolfini
Governor Chris Christie has ordered all New Jersey government flags be flown at half-staff on Monday in honor of James Gandolfini. Christie called the “Sopranos” star and New Jersey native an “iconic actor, who left a timeless impact.” Today I …
June 21, 2013 - WPIX 11 New York
- President Bush in Seattle Post Intelligencer
Last and hardly least, President Bush said: "The devastation in the region defies comprehension. ...... Our flags will fly at half-staff to honor the victims of this disaster. We mourn especially the tens of thousands of children who are lost. We...
- Barack Obama in Politico
In his address, Obama said that "In tribute to those who fell at Ft. Hood, I've ordered flags flying over the White House, and other federal buildings to be lowered to half-staff from now until Veterans Day next Wednesday."
- John Kerry in WVEC.com (subscription)
I'm tired of these politicians who show up when the bagpipes are waving and the flags are at half-staff and they talk about heroes in America,Kerry said. "And then they go back to Washington, and when the flags are at full staff again and...