- n a large sandwich made of a long crusty roll split lengthwise and filled with meats and cheese (and tomato and onion and lettuce and condiments); different names are used in different sections of the United States
- n grinding tooth with a broad crown; located behind the premolars
- n machinery that processes materials by grinding or crushing
- n a machine tool that polishes metal
- I don't throw anything in the grinder that doesn't belong there.
- Using a grinder, Head said, "is the most instantaneous way to euthanize chicks.
- When Jon Tester was 9 years old, he lost the middle three fingers of his left hand in a meat grinder.
- Chuck Hagel in Seattle Times
This is a ping-pong game with American lives. ...... And we better be damn sure we know what we're doing, all of us, before we put 22,000 more Americans into that grinder,Hagel said. "What do you believe?"
- Bo Ryan in Forbes
Ryan said the last three games have shown him that his team is "able to take something positive and not get too over-inflated and still come back and grind one out. I mean we got a good win on the road, got the grinder on Wednesday and then beat a...
- Pete Carroll in CBSSports.com
People from where I come from want to say 'gosh, why would you do that when you win all the time in college football and here you are going into the meat-grinder of the NFL?'Carroll said. "I'm ready, I couldn't be more excited about it."