- n an antique record player; the sound of the vibrating needle is amplified acoustically
- Jackson, 25, nimbly walked off with the gold-plated gramophone eight times, a record record.
- On the royal tour of South Africa the gramophone stood in the Queen's lounge on the train.
- It was a momentous occasion, they felt: they were to unseal the first of a great collection of historical gramophone cylinders, recorded years ago for the benefit of posterity.
News & Articles
- Dad from U.N.C.L.E.
When I was young back in Houston in the ’60s, summer was endless and sometimes dangerous. Boredom hadn’t been invented yet. We didn’t have devices to store thousands of songs and regurgitate them with all the clarity of a gramophone. We didn’t have cell phones that took really, really bad pictures. Yet somehow our lives [...]
June 19, 2013 - Fort Worth Weekly
- Qutb in AlterNet
And they danced to the tunes of the gramophone,Qutb writes, "and the dance floor was replete with tapping feet, enticing legs, arms wrapped around waists, lips pressed to lips, and chests pressed to chests. The atmosphere was full of...
- TS Eliot in guardian.co.uk
Over 100 years later, in March 1931, TS Eliot, aged 47, wrote to Stephen Spender: "I have the A minor Quartet on the gramophone, and I find it quite inexhaustible to study. There is a sort of heavenly, or at least more than human gaiety, about some...