glucose : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a monosaccharide sugar that has several forms; an important source of physiological energy
- In Type 1 diabetes, these beta cells no longer work to break down the glucose that floods the body after each meal, leading to blood-sugar spikes that can damage the kidneys and .
- Since PET picks up glucose-burning activity in cells, hot spots on PET scans of cancer patients generally indicate actively growing tumors.
- Diabetics still have to keep an eye on their glucose levels, and nowadays that means more than just the traditional glucose test that measures blood-sugar levels.
News & Articles
- Echo Therapeutics Announces Pricing of Public Offering of Common Stock
PHILADELPHIA, June 13, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Echo Therapeutics, Inc. (Nasdaq: ECTE), a company developing its needle-free Symphony ® CGM System as a non-invasive, wireless continuous glucose monitoring ...
June 13, 2013 - PR Newswire via Yahoo! Finance
- Your diabetes ABCs from the HCHC Diabetes Education Center
A is for A1c A1c, short for HbA1c, or hemoglobin A1c, measures your average blood glucose over the past three months. Suggested target range is below 7 percent, which corresponds with an average blood glucose level of 150 mg/dl. This test should be performed at least twice a year, as ordered by your primary physician. A is also for aspirin Taking low-dose aspirin everyday has been proven to help ...
June 13, 2013 - Mt. Pleasant News
- Starches/Glucose: Global Markets
NEW YORK, June 12, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Reportlinker.com announces that a new market research report is available in its catalogue: Starches/Glucose: Global Markets http://www.reportlinker.com/p01351943/Starches/Glucose-Global-Markets.html#utm_source=prnewswire&utm_medium=pr&utm_campaign=Food_Ingredient ...
June 12, 2013 - PR Newswire via Yahoo! Finance
- David Ludwig in EurekAlert (press release)
Two low-fat Twinkies, billed as a health food, contain the same amount of sugar as an oral glucose tolerance test - a test used to determine how much sugar someone can digest,Ludwig says.
- Amos Bairoch in Science Daily (press release)
Professor Bairoch said, "The general public would understand some of the entries in our protein encyclopaedia. Insulin, for instance, is a small protein that controls glucose levels in our blood. The performance-booster EPO is the protein used...
- Joe Manchin in Forbes
This finding is another step towards rounding out our understanding of the genetic factors that underpin glucose regulation and risk of type 2 diabetes. This variant does not confer sufficient risk to be of clinical utility on its own. But when... Kari Stefansson http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%A1ri_Stef%C3%A1nsson&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNE4zlrENEs81XVNitp9yN9A9qxqlQ MarketWatch http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/deCODE-Integrate-New-Genetic-Risk/story.aspx%3Fguid%3D%257BC4999A47-B72F-4665-8A92-ADD751273D34%257D&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNHaVgP2s54BLw7uHqme1CqNuU4rnQ Dec 8, 2008
42478 58292 glue I couldn't be more happy," Manchin said. "I've watched this team come together and this gentleman right here, Billy Stewart, bring it together. He's the glue. There's not a mother or father watching today that wouldn't be proud to have their...