- a of or relating to neuroglia
- The cancer arises from glial cells, which outnumber neurons 10 to 1, and whose function is to support the electrical activity of neurons in the brain but doctors don't know .
- The glial cells behave like the self-sacrificing wife who eats mostly potatoes and gives the high-energy meat to her ditchdigger husband.
- Also in place are a trillion glial cells, named after the Greek word for glue, which form a kind of honeycomb that protects and nourishes the neurons.
News & Articles
- Local doctor talks about Darren Daulton's surgery
Former Philadelphia Phillies catcher Darren Daulton is on the mend after having brain surgery. While a glioma brain tumor is rare, surgeons for the Lehigh Valley Health Network say they perform a lot of these procedures. "Gliomas are a type of tumor that comes from the substance of the brain itself. They come from glial cells, " said Dr. Mark Li, chief of nuerosurgery for the Lehigh Valley ...
July 3, 2013 - WFMZ Eastern Pennsylvania and Western New Jersey
- Ben Barres in Emediawire (press release)
This new study adds to the growing body of evidence that glial cells are critically important contributors to neurological diseases and therefore attractive targets for drug development,said Ben Barres, Professor and Chair of the Department...
- John Stein in The Age
John Stein, a physiologist at Oxford University, said: "Our understanding of the role of these glial cells in the brain has changed dramatically . . . but how they influence intelligence itself, if they do at all, is far from clear."