- n a grammatical category in inflected languages governing the agreement between nouns and pronouns and adjectives; in some languages it is quite arbitrary but in Indo-European languages it is usually based on sex or animateness
- n the properties that distinguish organisms on the basis of their reproductive roles
- The gender gap is biggest in Austria, where just 9% of researchers are female, and Germany, where the figure is 9.
- Santhi Soundarajan has a message for Caster Semenya, the South African track star whose gender has sparked an international athletics row:.
- President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo of the Philippines is one of a handful of female heads of state helping close the gender gap worldwide It's not just about equality anymore.
News & Articles
- Norway votes overwhelmingly to adopt gender-neutral armed forces draft
OSLO, Norway, June 16 (UPI) -- Norway's Parliament voted overwhelmingly to install a policy of gender-neutral armed forces conscription, Norway's defense minister announced.
June 16, 2013 - UPI
- Norway to introduce gender neutral conscription
Mandatory military service in Norway should in future be extended to all citizens, regardless of gender, according to a resolution backed by a broad majority in the country's parliament Friday.
June 15, 2013 - Stars and Stripes
- Gender Identity Bill Set For Del. House Vote
DOVER, Del. - A bill aimed at protecting transgender people in Delaware by outlawing discrimination based on gender identity has cleared a House committee. The committee released the bill following
June 13, 2013 - WMDT Salisbury
- Sonia Sotomayor in Atlantic Online
So when Sotomayor says things like this -- "I simply do not know exactly what that difference will be in my judging. But I accept there will be some based on my gender and my Latina heritage" -- it's very easy to label her an scourge of identity...
- Jeff Sessions in Los Angeles Times
Sessions said he would not support a nominee "who believes it is acceptable for a judge to allow their personal background, gender, prejudices to sway their decision in favor of, or against, parties before the court."
- Henry Miller in Checkbiotech.org (press release)
As far as I can tell, neither Senator Obama nor Hillary have lost votes because of their race or gender. They are getting votes, to be sure, because of their race or gender - that's why people tell me Hillary doesn't have a chance of winning... Bill Clinton http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Clinton&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNFQgtnAfN-Gd8ODTfDdWrRjwwjDZg Forbes http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2008/01/23/ap4565263.html&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNHsSS_f5KejCUqX3ae09qn_9WtFxg Jan 23, 2008
41465 53210 gene-splicing Both theory and experience confirm the extraordinary predictability and safety of gene-splicing technology and its products," said Dr. Henry Miller, a fellow at the Hoover Institution who represented the pro-biotech position.