- n a unit of magnetic flux density equal to 1 maxwell per square centimeter
- n German mathematician who developed the theory of numbers and who applied mathematics to electricity and magnetism and astronomy and geodesy (1777-1855)
- The figures indicated that the strength of the white dwarf's magnetic field was somewhere between 10 million and 30 million gauss (v.
- The theory looks so good that the three scientists are promising to deliver many million gauss of magnetic field, and to churn matter in ways that it has never been churned .
- For one thing, it will surely prove to be extremely violent: its field of 100,000 gauss will exert a force of six tons per sq.