- n framework consisting of an ornamental design made of strips of wood or metal
- In Six Houses on Mound Street, 2006, with its stark cubes and fretwork of painted crosswalks, the workaday scene seems to be held in place by the guy-wires of some enigmatic order.
- But foot-scrapers, ornamental fretwork and wrought iron pipe are out of fashion and Reading has lost $4,000.
- While this normal fretwork of the politicians went on, the general himself calmly busied himself with the here and now.
- Colin Thubron in Daily Reckoning - American Edition
It was, as travel writer Colin Thubron describes it, "a shifting fretwork of arteries and veins, laid to the Mediterranean."
- Evelyn Waugh in New Statesman
In Brideshead Revisited, the Chinese drawing room at Brides head Castle (a house built in the 1670s, Evelyn Waugh wrote) is a 1750s addition, "adazzle with gilt pagodas and nodding mandarins, painted paper and Chippendale fretwork".