fortitude : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n strength of mind that enables one to endure adversity with courage
- Parks was not only above moral reproach (securely married, reasonably employed) but possessed a quiet fortitude as well as political savvy in short, she was the ideal plaintiff .
- His fortitude has made him not only a great scientist but also a great scientist-statesman, one who plays a unique role in helping all of us understand the enormous risks of man .
- Presley had the courage to cross the color line to create his music its a tragedy that the folks pushing this years so-called 50th anniversary of Rock lack the fortitude .
News & Articles
- Stranger Than Fiction: Quinn Memoir Fails To Sell
Christine Quinn 's new memoir With Patience and Fortitude sold only about 100 hardback copies in its first week, according to Nielsen BookScan. Quinn is City Council Speaker, and she's running for Mayor. So the book's poor performance is a bit of a head-scratcher for the publishing and political worlds. Part of the trouble seems to be that Quinn has done very few book interviews. She hasn't even ...
June 21, 2013 - WNYC New York Public Radio
- Joseph given place within Catholics’ Communion prayers with approval from Pope Francis
The Holy Family of Mary, Jesus and Joseph is an important model for Christians, but Joseph has always been more in the background — the man of fortitude and humility who was not Jesus’ biological father, according to the Gospels.
June 21, 2013 - New Haven Register
- No One Bought Christine Quinn’s Book
With Patience and Fortitude , her election-year memoir, had a print run of 75,000, but limited interest resulted in the publisher shipping just 5,000 copies to stores, only about 100 of which sold, the New York Times reports. ("No comment," said the publisher.)
June 19, 2013 - New York Magazine
- Pope Benedict XVI in International Herald Tribune
After the ceremony in St. Peter's Square to canonize Alphonsa and three others, Benedict told Indian pilgrims among the crowd of tens of thousands that Alphonsa's "heroic virtues of patience, fortitude and perseverance in the midst of deep suffering...
- Barack Obama in Chicago Tribune
Tragedy tests us. It tests our fortitude and it tests our faith,Obama said. "Here's how Joe Biden responded. He never moved to Washington. Instead, night after night, week after week, year after year, he returned home to Wilmington on a...
- Phil Jackson in USA Today
It's not just about talent,Lakers coach Phil Jackson said. "It's about character. He's a person of high character : (and) brings that to play, not only in his gamesmanship but also his intestinal fortitude."