- n (psychiatry) a psychological disorder of thought or emotion; a more neutral term than mental illness
- Paris finds itself swept up in a craze for chestnut-brown color that is being called "La folie du marron.
- Carried away by a kind of folie deux, the boys resolve "to explore all the possibilities of human experience," to pluck the most exotic flowers of evil.
- French Critic Millau in an early observation of the trend labeled it la grande folie (the great folly).
- Dana Andersen in Financial Times
There is a predetermined setting - in this case, a Riviera casino in the 1960s; actors choose and develop their own characters; Andersen calls each scene in advance (eg "Jean Folie returns with Stormy Spice to her hotel room, only to discover that...
- Hans Kung in Asia Times Online
Kung described Dominus Iesus as "a hotch-potch of medieval backwardness and folie de grandeur".