flageolet : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a French bean variety with light-colored seeds; usually dried
- n a small fipple flute with four finger holes and two thumb holes
- The wind was blowing hard and gustily, and was producing a most amazing effectexactly as though a flageolet were being played by a human performer.
- Sometimes, if no band came, he played to himself on the flageolet, a sad and wandering air.
- Son Hector was allowed to toy with the flute, the flageolet, the guitar, but medicine was to be his profession.
- Richard Rhodes in Seattle Times
Rhodes writes that Audubon could "sing, dance, play the flute, the violin and the recorder-like flageolet, fence, hunt, shoot and ride and draw" (occasionally teaching fencing, dancing and drawing to make ends meet). "He was volatile,...