- n a male parent (also used as a term of address to your father)
his father was born in Atlanta
- n the founder of a family
keep the faith of our forefathers
- n `Father' is a term of address for priests in some churches (especially the Roman Catholic Church or the Orthodox Catholic Church); `Padre' is frequently used in the military
- n (Christianity) any of about 70 theologians in the period from the 2nd to the 7th century whose writing established and confirmed official church doctrine; in the Roman Catholic Church some were later declared saints and became Doctor of the Church; the best known Latin Church Fathers are Ambrose, Augustine, Gregory the Great, and Jerome; those who wrote in Greek include Athanasius, Basil, Gregory Nazianzen, and John Chrysostom
- n a person who holds an important or distinguished position in some organization
the tennis fathers ruled in her favor
the city fathers endorsed the proposal
- n God when considered as the first person in the Trinity
- n a person who founds or establishes some institution
George Washington is the father of his country
- n the head of an organized crime family
- v make children
Men often father children but don't recognize them
- Rahm Emanuel is his own man, with an identity distinct from his father's.
- He wasn't a good father.
- Her father has the key.
News & Articles
- Father's Day: A daughter remembers dad
Father's Day is bittersweet for military families who've lost a dad to war.
June 14, 2013 - Washington Post
- Father's Day: a role for everyone
Father’s Day recognizes the importance of being a dad. Today 1 out of 3 children lives in a home with no father present on a regular basis. But anyone can lend a hand to kids without a dad in their lives.
June 14, 2013 - The Christian Science Monitor
- Father's Day: Why a 'superhero' father wants to join the Mothers Association
On this Father’s Day I want only one thing: to join the Mothers Association.I have my reasons.The association is the not-so-secret society that runs my neighborhood. It has about 1,000 members, who, on most summer mornings, take their children to one of three playgrounds in our neighborhood.GALLERY: Fathers around the world On some mornings, however, they park their fleet of strollers on the ...
June 14, 2013 - Christian Science Monitor via Yahoo! News
- Barack Obama in Media General Washington Bureau
This is the meaning of our liberty and our creed,Obama said, when "a man whose father less than 60 years ago might not have been served at a local restaurant can now stand before you to take a most sacred oath."
- Keith Richards in DivineCaroline
Beaumont quoted Richards as saying, "I snorted my father. He was cremated and I couldn't resist grinding him up with a little bit of blow. My dad wouldn't have cared ...... It went down pretty well, and I'm still alive."
- John Edwards in ABC News
In a statement released today, Edwards said, "I am Quinn's father. It was wrong for me ever to deny she was my daughter, and hopefully one day, when she understands, she will forgive me."