- n a sad Portuguese folksong
- If you want to be my love Don't speak to me only of love, But talk to me about fado.
- High-minded as fado may be in Branco's hands, the style had the rotten luck to be endorsed by the dictators who ruled Portugal for almost 50 years.
- Fado means destiny in Portuguese, and the Weltschmerz of a good fado gets a physical grip on its audience; like "ffillie Holiday's blues, fados encourage a state of mind well .
- Mariza in Reuters India
You can have a happy concert, because fado and Lisbon have that side too, not just the melancholy side,said Mariza. "They have the happiness, the fashion, the love, the saudade, everything."
- MÃsia in International Herald Tribune
When I decided to devote myself to fado, my friends were horrified,said MÃsia before a recent performance in Paris, where she now lives. "It had the stigma of the dictatorship that used fado as propaganda for Portugal as a place that was...
- Carlos Saura in AFP
I hope this movie will launch fado in the world,said Saura as he presented his film at the festival which got underway on Thursday.