extinct : Definition, Usages, News and More
- a no longer in existence; lost or especially having died out leaving no living representatives
an extinct species of fish
an extinct royal family
extinct laws and customs
- a (of e.g. volcanos) permanently inactive
an extinct volcano
- s being out or having grown cold
threw his extinct cigarette into the stream
- The fossils uncovered an extinct mammal that was never chronicled by the scientists.
- Till now it has not been possible to decode the genetic map of animals thought to be extinct.
- Scientists say the species is probably extinct, the victim of overfishing and environmental degradation on China's crowded waterway.
News & Articles
- Two South Florida butterflies extinct
Two South Florida butterflies appear to have joined the club no one wants to be a member of: Extinct species.
June 11, 2013 - Sun-Sentinel
- Two South Florida Butterfly Species Now Extinct
South Florida and the rest of the world has lost two more butterfly species. U.S. wildlife officials said Monday the two butterfly species, historically found in South Florida, are likely extinct.
June 11, 2013 - CBS Miami
- 'Extinct' Frog Reappears in Israel
The Hula painted frog was declared extinct in 1996, the first time any amphibian had been declared extinct by the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), a conservation group.
June 6, 2013 - LiveScience.com via Yahoo! News