- v grant relief or an exemption from a rule or requirement to
She exempted me from the exam
- v grant exemption or release to
- a (of persons) freed from or not subject to an obligation or liability (as e.g. taxes) to which others or other things are subject
a beauty somehow exempt from the aging process
exempt from jury duty
only the very poorest citizens should be exempt from income taxes
- a (of goods or funds) not subject to taxation
income exempt from taxation
- Jehovah's Witnesses regard themselves as ministers, but draft boards often refuse to exempt them from Army service.
- The regulation, which holds that tax-exempt organizations cannot "participate in any political campaign on behalf of any candidate for political office," has been in place since .
- Lott's conservative critics, quite rightly, made a big fuss about his filing of a brief arguing that BJU should get the exemption despite its racist ban on interracial dating.
- Barack Obama in USA Today
Part of what our core constitutional values promote is the notion that individuals are protected in their privacy and their bodily integrity, and women are not exempt from that,Obama said before meeting with a group of senators.
- Mark Wilson in Forbes
If I can walk off that green and know I'll be exempt through 2009, it'll be just a great feeling,Wilson said. "But it's more about the journey, enjoying the whole journey that I've gone on. I played in the 1991 PGA Junior here, for...
- President Bush in Chicago Tribune
I don't think anybody should be exempt from that, and I think it would be an outrage if we didn't prosecute to the fullest extent of the law, particularly people who live in the public domain, make their living because of their visibility _ they're... Michael Bloomberg http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Bloomberg&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNF0yS62k8BJaV-YE-tVY5NKrA5nbA Lompoc Record http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.lompocrecord.com/articles/2008/12/01/ap/sports/d94q3c9o0.txt&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNFnZyVad4AooD9ASfC7_K-QOUNx5g Dec 1, 2008
35044 44674 exemption This exemption will enable the Navy to train effectively and to certify carrier and expeditionary strike groups for deployment in support of worldwide operational and combat activities, which are essential to national security," Bush said.