- n the study of methods of improving genetic qualities by selective breeding (especially as applied to human mating)
- The mass murder of "unfit" individuals and ethnic groups by the Nazis gave eugenics a black mark that can never be washed off.
- In Huxley's day eugenics happened only by government mandate; now it will take government mandate - a ban on genetic tinkering - to prevent it.
- Civil rights groups say any kind of castration, even if reversible, could take society down the road to eugenics.
News & Articles
- Disability Rights Activists Targeting Of DNA Medical Screening Understandable But Misguided
A recent article in the Denver Post decrying “the rise of a new eugenics” is provocative and heartfelt but misguided. It could, if its advice is followed, result in the curtailment of genetic screens that prevent many crippling diseases, reports the Genetic Literacy Project.
July 10, 2013 - Forbes
- Editorial: Prison sterilizations need a full review
Because of the horrible history of eugenics in California, any hint of forced sterilizations must be taken seriously. Allegations that doctors working for state prisons coerced female inmates into having tubal ligations need a complete and independent accounting.
July 9, 2013 - The Sacramento Bee
- Female Inmates Sterilized In California Tied To Nazis, Eugenics, Social Darwinism
As we see female inmates sterilized in California’s prisons some may wonder when that practice started. You might be shocked it has a long history tied back to Nazis, eugenics, and Social Darwinism. As previously reported by The Inquisitr, the female inmates sterilized at Valley State Prison had the procedure pushed on them by insistent doctors. Between 2006... Read more » Female Inmates ...
July 8, 2013 - The Inquisitr
- Pope Benedict XVI in EiTB
In developed countries, there is a growing interest for the most sophisticated biotechnological research to introduce subtle and extensive eugenics methods in the obsessive search for the 'perfect child',the Pope said.
- John West in CNSNews.com
By 1960, more than 60,000 people had been sterilized against their will in the United States in the name of a scientific movement known as eugenics,John West, a senior fellow at the Discovery Institute, told an event at the Family Research...
- George Will in Right Side News
As George Will noted in a column, "Eugenics by Abortion," abortion of Down syndrome children has become part of an insidious quest for a "disability-free society."