- n a writer of literary works
- He is also a monthly essayist for PTI magazine, a contributing editor to The Weekly Standard and The New Republic, a political analyst for FOX News and a weekly panelist on Inside .
- Margaret Atwood has worn many literary hats novelist, poet, essayist, critic, historian but now she has added another one: orator.
- My biggest by farbesides my mother, who had an incredibly dark sense of humorwas Robert Benchley, a humor essayist.
- Anne Fadiman in Calcutta Telegraph
Fadiman writes, "The familiar essayist didn't speak to the millions; he spoke to one reader, as if the two of them were sitting side by side in front of a crackling fire with their cravats loosened, their favourite stimulants at hand, and a long...
- Philip Roth in EfluxMedia News
Another Pulitzer Prize-winning US novelist, Philip Roth, said Updike was "our time's greatest man of letters, as brilliant a literary critic and essayist as he was a novelist and short story writer."
- Rene Preval in New York Times (blog)
Among the dead are a former adviser to Haitian President RenÃ© PrÃ©val, aid workers and Georges Anglade, described by the newspaper as "an essayist and geographer who settled in Montreal after being jailed by the Duvalier regime."