- s marked by excessive self-indulgence and moral decay
a group of effete self-professed intellectuals
- He likes to call them his "pithies and pungents," the zinging denunciations of Administration critics that have made him headlines off and on since he assailed "an effete.
- In a 1969 speech against war protesters, he said, "A spirit of national masochism prevails, encouraged by an effete corps of impudent snobs who characterize themselves as .
- Sure they're pasty, effete and live in the past, but the great thing about the English is that they seem smart even when acting stupid.
News & Articles
- Are You a Pajamerican or in the Confeduckeracy? Decide Now.
An ad from Organizing For Action, an advocacy group unaffiliated with the Obama administration, raised conservative ire on Wednesday with its depiction of the sort of "effete" man (meaning: "gay") that backs President Obama. Then, on Wednesday evening, A&E suspended Phil Robertson, one of the heavily-bearded and incessantly-eye-shaded stars of Duck Dynasty, after he explained to GQ that being ...
Dec. 19, 2013 - The Atlantic Wire via Yahoo! News
- Conservatives Really Hate the Obamacare Flannel-Pajamas Hipster
The White House social media's team insistence on trying to meme-ify everything, often with embarrassing results, has hit peak right-wing backlash with the goofy image above, because the only thing worse than trying to provide health insurance for millions of Americans is an effete young man who looks like he went to a liberal-arts college.
Dec. 18, 2013 - New York Magazine
- Truman Capote in San Francisco Chronicle
Stewart used best-picture nominee "Capote," about gay author Truman Capote, to set up a "Brokeback Mountain" wisecrack, saying the film "showed America not all gay people are virile cowboys. Some are actually effete New York intellectuals. It's...
- Rush Limbaugh in Boston Globe (registration)
Limbaugh, who has been urging people to vote for Clinton to prolong the Democratic primaries, said this week, "Barack Obama has shown he cannot get the votes that Democrats need to win: blue-collar working people. He can get effete snobs. He can get...
- Sarah Palin in MiamiHerald.com
Palin described Halcro in the book as a "wealthy, effete young chap who had taken over his father's local Avis Rent A Car, and he starred in his own car commercials."