- n shaking and vibration at the surface of the earth resulting from underground movement along a fault plane of from volcanic activity
- n a disturbance that is extremely disruptive
selling the company caused an earthquake among the employees
- Even for those born long after San Francisco's great 1906 earthquake and fire, it had become a habit to recall the warm, breezy conditions during that cataclysm.
- Chris Helgren Reuters Dozens of residents in the province of L'Aquila, some 80 miles (130 km) east of Rome, were crushed in their beds when the earthquake struck at 3:32 a.
- An estimated 70% of the town's 20,000 population lies entombed, victims of the devastating earthquake that hit two weeks ago.
- Barack Obama in Washington Post (blog)
Unlike an earthquake or a hurricane, it is not a single event that does its damage in a matter of minutes or days,he says. "The millions of gallons of oil that have spilled into the Gulf of Mexico are more like an epidemic, one that we...
- President Bush in Reuters India
I extend my condolences to those injured and to the families of the victims of today's earthquake in China's Sichuan province,US President George W. Bush said in a statement. "I am particularly saddened by the number of students and...
- Wyclef Jean in FOXNews
Haiti faced a natural disaster of unprecedented proportion, an earthquake unlike anything the country has ever experienced,Jean said in a statement. "I cannot stress enough what a human disaster this is, and idle hands will only make this...