earthen : Definition, Usages, News and More
- a made of earth (or baked clay)
an earthen pot
- New Orleans is a city at the bottom of a bowl, surrounded by a rim of earthen levees and concrete walls designed to keep nature out.
- To be frank, I didn't see barricades in the streets or earthen berms being erected or fortifications underway.
- One woman had been electrocuted, the captives said, when Heidnik stood her in the basement earthen pit, used a garden hose to flood it and touched a live wire to her chains.
News & Articles
- A dam dilemma: Homeowners look for answers to flooding
BURLINGTON - During the flood of 2011 there was concern that Dam No. 1 would give way and add to the flooding woes of residents downstream. The low earthen dam is located on the Des Lacs river immediately upstream of the Burlington Project.
June 11, 2013 - Minot Daily News
- Dem candidates call for protection of Staten Island shoreline
STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. - With hurricane season under way, Democratic borough presidential candidate Lou Liedy and Mid-Island City Council hopeful Mendy Mirocznik called for earthen berms to be constructed to protect Staten Island's coastal areas. They said the berms would...
June 10, 2013 - Staten Island Advance
- BLM Seeks Path For Managing West Conservation Area
If there's one thing that's clear on the canyon-riven, earthen upheaval known as the Uncompahgre Plateau, it's that there's no direct route to anywhere.
June 8, 2013 - CBS Denver
- Major Michael Donnelly in Forbes
Donnelly said militant gunmen "are using civilians as protection and have no regard for the innocent. Currently there are berms (earthen barriers) placed to impede movement to/from the city by the militia group, who have fired on CF (Coalition...
- Kevin Taft in Edmonton Sun
The fact that we had to rely on a whistleblower to tell us the truth in this situation puts all of the historical information into doubt,said Taft. "These ponds are pools of toxic water so vast that it takes the largest earthen dams in the...
- Julio Gallo in Los Angeles Times
His first and most loyal customers were Basque sheepherders from the surrounding hills,Julio Gallo wrote of his grandfather in the brothers' joint autobiography. "They came to town with their earthen jugs for him to fill for a nickel."