- v earn on some commercial or business transaction; earn as salary or wages
- v acquire or deserve by one's efforts or actions
- a gained or acquired; especially through merit or as a result of effort or action
a well-earned reputation for honesty
an earned run in baseball
- The discovery earned him the Institute of Electronics and Electrical Engineers' Gordon Bell Prize in 1989, considered the Nobel Prize of computing, and he was later hailed as one .
- Such praise has not been earned overnight.
- Men with traditional attitudes not only earned more than other men with egalitarian attitudes, but their annual salary was $14,404 greater than women with traditional attitudes .
News & Articles
- Martell earns Eagle with Troop 64
Andrew Martell, 18, has earned the highest rank a Boy Scout can attain, the Eagle Scout Award, for his renovation work at a Rohrerstown school.A member of Lancaster's Troop 64, Martell is the son of Gregg and Anne Martell and is a graduate of Hempfield High School, where he was a member of the stage...
June 20, 2013 - Lancaster Online
- Papa John’s Rated No. 1 among All National Pizza Chains by Prestigious American Customer Satisfaction Index
Papa John’s has again earned the top spot in customer satisfaction among national pizza chains in the 2013 American Customer Satisfaction Index released today. Papa John’s e
June 19, 2013 - Business Wire via Yahoo! Finance
- Lolo Jones has earned $741.84 bobsledding
How much have you earned at your job the last seven months? Chances are, it's more than Lolo Jones. Yeah, that Lolo Jones. As you may know, the track star has turned to bobsledding and, well, turns out pushing a … Continue reading ?
June 18, 2013 - Fourth-Place Medal via Yahoo! Sports
- Barack Obama in Politics Daily (blog)
The president praised McChrystal's career of service, noting that he "has earned a reputation as one of our nation's finest soldiers. . . . It saddens me to lose the service of a soldier who I've come to respect and admire."
- John Roberts in USA Today
Chief Justice John Roberts said in a statement Friday that Stevens "has earned the gratitude and admiration of the American people for his nearly 40 years of distinguished service to the Judiciary, including more than 34 years on the Supreme Court....
- Otto Rehhagel in ESPN
It was a well-deserved victory, no doubt about that,said the 71-year-old German. "We wanted to avoid an early goal, we managed to do that, but of course Argentina had more class and that earned them the win."