downturn : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a worsening of business or economic activity
the market took a downturn
- Fast-casual eateries will be the soup kitchens of this economic downturn, as the table-service restaurant industry takes a hit.
- The current economic downturn has hit men harder than women, with men suffering two-thirds of all recession-related job losses.
- It suggests that the downturn is still in its incipient phase, and that job losses could surpass 2 million in 2009, with unemployment climbing to 8%.
News & Articles
- Cloudy, cooler and a little wet
SEATTLE — Our mid-week downturn is here. Low pressure circulating just offshore will toss a few showers our way for the next three days. It won’t be very wet, but it will be cloudy and cooler — with highs below …
June 11, 2013 - Q13 FOX Seattle
- China Downturn Could Be 'Most Drawn-Out' Since '90s
The downturn in China could be the most drawn-out since the 1997-1998 Asian Financial Crisis, said research firm IHS.
June 10, 2013 - CNBC
- China Downturn 'Most Drawn-Out' Since 90s
The downturn in the world's second largest economy could be the most drawn-out since the 1997-1998 Asian Financial Crisis, said research firm IHS, following a slew of weaker-than-expected economic data ...
June 10, 2013 - CNBC via Yahoo! Finance
- Ben Bernanke in AFP
Despite the unwelcome rise in the unemployment rate that was reported last week, the risk that the economy has entered a substantial downturn appears to have diminished over the past month or so,said Bernanke. "Over the remainder of 2008,...
- Dana Perino in ABC News
We're continuing to have conversations with members of Congress, and we're open to ideas that they would put forward ...... that would stimulate the economy and help us pull out of this downturn faster,White House press secretary Dana Perino...
- Barack Obama in AFP
But I also know that we have a long way to go to fully restore our economy, and recover from what has been the longest and deepest downturn since the Great Depression,Obama said. "While this report today represents real progress, the...