downfield : Definition, Usages, News and More
- s toward or in the defending team's end of the playing field
he threw to a downfield receiver
- r toward or in the defending team's end of the playing field
he caught the ball and ran downfield 15 yards
- I love it when he takes the ball and darts downfield for 30 yards, making one, two, three defenders fall as they chase him.
- He can also "juke" his hips, dip his shoulder, toss his head, flutter his eyelashes, and leave a safety man twisted up like a pretzel as he cuts downfield for a pass.
- Expect the issue to be punted downfield for further discussion later in the year.
News & Articles
- Oakland Raiders' offense playing catch-up
The pass from quarterback Matt Flynn arrived in a spiral, 30 yards downfield. Rod Streater, tightly guarded along the right sideline, caught the pass at the top of his jump, coming down inside the 5-yard line.
June 13, 2013 - San Jose Mercury News
- Jim Brown in SportingNews.com
Gene was the leader of a great line,Brown said, "and the greatest downfield blocker in the history of pro football."
- Randy Shannon in International Herald Tribune
I watch football late at night, and I see a lot of Pac-10 games,Shannon said. "We know about Cal. They're a very run-oriented team, but they can take shots downfield as well. There's going to be a lot of speed on both sides, but you'll...
- Mike Tomlin in International Herald Tribune
Larry Fitzgerald, is quite simply, the best receiver in the world down the field in one-on-one situations,Tomlin said. "If we're to be successful in Tampa, we need to limit the number of times we're downfield with him one-on-one....