- n an army unit large enough to sustain combat
two infantry divisions were held in reserve
- n one of the portions into which something is regarded as divided and which together constitute a whole
the BBC's engineering division
- n the act or process of dividing
- n an administrative unit in government or business
- n discord that splits a group
- n a league ranked by quality
- n (biology) a group of organisms forming a subdivision of a larger category
- n (botany) taxonomic unit of plants corresponding to a phylum
- n a unit of the United States Air Force usually comprising two or more wings
- n a group of ships of similar type
- n an arithmetic operation that is the inverse of multiplication; the quotient of two numbers is computed
- n the act of dividing or partitioning; separation by the creation of a boundary that divides or keeps apart
- A month after he took command, the division captured Buna and MacArthur had his foothold on the north coast.
- The Justice Department is moving forward with plans to expand its civil rights division, pursuing cases of discrimination in the workplace, housing and voting rights.
- The Rangers and the 1st Division had ahead of them 50 sleepless hours of bombing, tank and artillery attacks, the hardest fight in the experience of that experienced division.
News & Articles
- Police division names lieutenant, adds three officers
The Hilliard Division of Police promoted Sgt. Ron Clark to lieutenant and swore in three new officers June 12 at the Norwich Township Joint Safety Services Building.
June 19, 2013 - This Week Hilliard
- The Division has 'classless characters,' second screen detailed
Ubisoft has shed a little light on its new Tom Clancy open-world RPG for Xbox One and PS4 , The Division . First and foremost, the game has no predefined classes. Players are allowed to assign skills to their characters as they see fit and those skills are "totally changeable." So, you're able to spec your character as a healer or tank or whatever the situation demands. The publisher also ...
June 19, 2013 - Joystiq
- Division of Fish and Wildlife announce change in summer flounder regulations
The DNREC Division of Fish and Wildlife has announced that anglers catching summer flounder in the state waters will be able to keep smaller fish this season when regulation changes start on June 11.
June 18, 2013 - Dover Post
- Barack Obama in Belleville News Democrat
I welcome debate among my team, but I won't tolerate division,he said.
- President Bush in FOX News
On Aug. 9, 1974, after a long career in the House and service as vice president, Ford assumed the presidency "in an hour of national turmoil and division," Bush said.
- Osama bin Laden in Navhind Times
Some of you have been lax in one duty, which is to unite your ranks,bin Laden said in the audiotape. "Beware of division ...... Muslims are waiting for you to gather under a single banner to champion righteousness. Be keen to oblige with...