- v detect with the senses
- a having or revealing keen insight and good judgment
a discerning critic
a discerning reader
- s unobtrusively perceptive and sympathetic
a discerning editor
- s quick to understand
- s able to make or detect effects of great subtlety; sensitive
a discerning eye for color
- They choose that program because John is among the most astute, discerning and relentless pursuers of truth in the nation, and has been for years.
- But back then, the classically trained chef who, like many aspiring French cooks, put in months preparing food not for discerning customers but their equally discerning dogs.
- Today, discerning Chinese dine on raspberry tea-smoked duck, wear Mandarin-inspired suits and buy contemporized calligraphy to decorate the Suzhou-silk walls of their weekend villas.
News & Articles
- Anne Cole: A Master High End Instrument Maker
Custom instrument maker Anne Cole has spent her life building unique, high quality pieces for the most discerning clients.
June 21, 2013 - Forbes
- LeBron says he'll wear the headband for Game 7
Some fans might think LeBron James will be the difference-maker for the Miami Heat in Thursday's Game 7 of the NBA finals. Other, more discerning fans know that James' headband could be the difference as the Heat tries to win back-to-back championships.
June 20, 2013 - WTSP-TV Tampa
- End of an Era: Men's Wearhouse Founder and Mascot Fired from Company
George Zimmer , known to even the least discerning men's suit shopper as the man behind Men's Warhouse's ubiquitous "you're going to like the way you look, I guarantee it" ad spots, has just been fired from the company he founded exactly 40 years ago this year. Read more...
June 19, 2013 - Gawker
- Hale Boggs in SunHerald.com (registration)
This acquisition is a strategic coup and a cornerstone for our bipartisan growth,Boggs Jr. said. "The combined expertise of Patton Boggs and Breaux-Lott Leadership Group makes the firm a 'mandatory first stop' for discerning corporate CEOs...
- Maxime Bernier in Globe and Mail
It would certainly be irresponsible to spend billions of dollars and impose exaggeratedly severe regulations to solve a problem whose gravity we're still far from discerning,Bernier wrote. "The alarmism that has often characterized this...
- Gordon Brown in BusinessWeek
It's about substance in the end,Brown told reporters as he campaigned today in Cowdenbeath, Scotland. "The British public are very discerning and at the end of the day will look at who gives them answers to the big questions they're...