- v make soiled, filthy, or dirty
- a soiled or likely to soil with dirt or grime
dirty unswept sidewalks
a child in dirty overalls
piles of dirty dishes
put his dirty feet on the clean sheet
mining is a dirty job
Cinderella did the dirty work while her sisters preened themselves
- a (of behavior or especially language) characterized by obscenity or indecency
a dirty old man
dirty books and movies
boys telling dirty jokes
has a dirty mouth
- s vile; despicable
a dirty (or lousy) trick
- a spreading pollution or contamination; especially radioactive contamination
the air near the foundry was always dirty
a dirty bomb releases enormous amounts of long-lived radioactive fallout
- s contaminated with infecting organisms
- s (of color) discolored by impurities; not bright and clear
dirty" is often used in combination
a dirty (or dingy) white
- s (of a manuscript) defaced with changes
foul (or dirty) copy
- s obtained illegally or by improper means
- s expressing or revealing hostility or dislike
- s violating accepted standards or rules
a dirty fighter
- s unethical or dishonest
dirty police officers
- s unpleasantly stormy
there's dirty weather in the offing
- And al-Qaeda leaders reportedly discussed with him schemes ranging from "dirty bombs" to blowing up gas stations discussions which some captive terrorist leaders appear to have .
- Andrew Dice Clay tells jokes for a living -- dirty jokes, stag-party jokes, jokes designed to singe a churchgoer's soul and turn a feminist's stomach -- but he attracts crowds .
- People employed in dirty work have a lot to teach us, says its most famous chronicler.
News & Articles
- Dirty Dining: Golden Gate Chinese Restaurant
Issues with cleanliness and food handling lead to the closure of a Henderson restaurant. Contact 13's Tricia Kean brings us to the Golden Gate Chinese Restaurant for this week's Dirty Dining.
June 13, 2013 - KTNV Las Vegas
- 'Dirty Jobs' Host Auctions Underwear For Good Cause
After nearly a decade of hosting the popular television show "Dirty Jobs," Mike Rowe has seen his fair share of "crap." Now, he's parlaying his reputation as a man who's not afraid to get his hands dirty into charitable efforts aimed at raising scholarship money for skilled trades students.
June 11, 2013 - LiveScience.com via Yahoo! News
- Dirty Wars: Turns Out the U.S. Government Really Doesn't Play Fair
Dirty Wars The truth will out, but the problem is that even when it does, there's no guarantee that people will care. This is explored to some degree in Rick Rowley's documentary Dirty Wars , which examines and occasionally re-creates investigative reporter Jeremy Scahill's probes in...
June 11, 2013 - SF Weekly