diminished : Definition, Usages, News and More
- v decrease in size, extent, or range
- v lessen the authority, dignity, or reputation of
- s impaired by diminution
- a (of an organ or body part) diminished in size or strength as a result of disease or injury or lack of use
- s (of musical intervals) reduction by a semitone of any perfect or minor musical interval
a diminished fifth
- s made to seem smaller or less (especially in worth)
- At the same time, neither would Oprah's role as a cultural arbiter be diminished by her foray into politics.
- Wickrematunge had worried over the past few days that he was being followed, but that had not diminished his enthusiasm for the next big story.
- But for all the poverty it alleviated and lives it saved, aid was also a distortion free food diminished the need to farm, free money diminished the need for efficiency, and .
News & Articles
- Rain softens U.S. Open course to extreme
The prospect of a firm, fast course for the 113th U.S. Open diminished with every raindrop on Monday at Merion Golf Club, where the 11th hole remained off limits and practice rounds were twice suspended due to heavy rain.
June 10, 2013 - ESPN
- Diminished balance found in those with poor vision
Researchers have found that visually impaired individuals and those with uncorrected refractive error -- those who could benefit from glasses to achieve normal vision but don't wear glasses -- have a significantly greater risk of diminished balance with their eyes closed on a compliant, foam surface than individuals with normal vision.
June 7, 2013 - Science Daily
- Ben Bernanke in AFP
Despite the unwelcome rise in the unemployment rate that was reported last week, the risk that the economy has entered a substantial downturn appears to have diminished over the past month or so,said Bernanke. "Over the remainder of 2008,...
- Steve Jobs in Wall Street Journal
Apple CEO Steve Jobs said in a prepared statement that as "Google enters more of Apple's core businesses...... Eric's effectiveness as an Apple board member will be significantly diminished, since he will have to recuse himself from even larger...
- Barack Obama in Middle East Times
More than half a century later, our grief and our outrage have not diminished,Obama said after the tour. "I will not forget what I have seen today."