- v discover or determine the existence, presence, or fact of
She detected high levels of lead in her drinking water
- Marines working with his unit in Iraq had shown the Army combat engineer how it can be used to detect trip wires.
- Just Say Go The latest performance-boosting drugs are impossible to detect--and, for many athletes, impossible to resist.
- Raytheon's APS will automatically detect an incoming round and then launch a missile to destroy it, all within a split second.
News & Articles
- Saint Louis University researchers discover a way to detect new viruses
( Saint Louis University ) Saint Louis University researchers describe a technology that can detect new, previously unknown viruses using blood serum as a biological source.
June 17, 2013 - EurekAlert!
- Blood tests could detect sexually-transmitted oral cancers
By Kate Kelland LONDON (Reuters) - Antibodies to a high-risk type of a virus that causes mouth and throat cancers when transmitted via oral sex can be detected in blood tests many years before onset of the disease, according to a World Health Organisation-led team of researchers. In a study in the Journal of Clinical Oncology, the researchers said their findings may in future lead to people ...
June 17, 2013 - Reuters via Yahoo! News
- Tune your radar to detect liars
By Anita Bruzzese, Gannett News Service You might think you can detect a fibber by reading body language. Obviously, the weird guy who never makes eye contact or the woman who ...
June 16, 2013 - The Mckeesport Daily News
- Paul Kanjorski in Denver Post
Kanjorski, the lawmaker, said his subcommittee's inquiry will examine the alleged Madoff fraud and try to determine why the SEC and other regulators "failed to detect these substantial evasions."
- President Bush in Environment News Service
This initiative will help us rapidly detect, quantify and respond to outbreaks of disease in humans and animals, and deliver information quickly to state, and local, and national and international public health officials,said Bush. "By...
- Pope Benedict XVI in International Herald Tribune
It is true that one can detect a certain weakening of Christian life in society overall,Benedict told 200 bishops and archbishops and 20 cardinals. "And of participation in the life of the Catholic Church, due to secularism, hedonism,...