desktop : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n the top of a desk
- n (computer science) the area of the screen in graphical user interfaces against which icons and windows appear
- It took OS X, its full-featured desktop operating system, and somehow squished it down to fit inside the iPhone's elegant glass-and-stainless-steel case.
- The trouble is, every notebook is more expensive than its similarly powered desktop-PC equivalent.
- The average desktop computer, not including the monitor, consumes from 60 to 250 watts a day.
News & Articles
- 3-D printer maker Stratasys to acquire desktop rival MakerBot
3-D printer company Stratasys is acquiring desktop 3-D printer maker MakerBot for over US$400 million in an all-stock deal, to shore up its consumer presence. Privately-held MakerBot has sold more than 22,000 3-D printers since it was founded in 2009, and its printers are increasingly used by a class of "prosumers" that includes individuals using the devices for professional purposes as well as ...
June 20, 2013 - PC World
- Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac updates with early OS X Mavericks support
Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac has been updated with support for the OS X Mavericks beta. The new Desktop build, 8.0.18494, lets users run Mavericks virtualized within another copy of OS X. Parallels classifies its Mavericks support as "experimental" however, and notes that since the OS is still unreleased, people must be registered Apple developers to make use of the feature....
June 19, 2013 - MacNN
- Remote Desktop Manager (RDM) Creator Devolutions Wraps up Successful Exhibit at Microsoft TechEd 2013
Devolutions, the creator of Remote Desktop Manager (RDM), wrapped up a successful exhibit at Microsoft’s TechEd 2013, which was held in New Orleans from June 3-6. The Devolutions team, which included technical, product and sales experts, demonstrated its suite of solutions to more than 500 IT Pros, and handed our 2500 pairs of next generation earphones. (PRWeb June 19, 2013) Read the full story ...
June 19, 2013 - PRWeb
- Bart Starr in USA Today
The ground was as hard as this desktop I'm touching right now,Starr said. "The scoreboard was casting a shadow on the field for much of the game, making it even harder."
- Steve Jobs in New York Times
The iMac has already been praised as 'the gold standard' of desktop PCs, so we hope customers really love the new iMac, which is up to twice as fast,Mr. Jobs said.
- Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo in PR Newswire (press release)
As we continue to free the Internet from the limitations of the desktop, we are taking mobility into a completely new realm of possibility,said Kallasvuo.