denotation : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n the act of indicating or pointing out by name
- n the most direct or specific meaning of a word or expression; the class of objects that an expression refers to
- For example, panels are comics' most common denotation of time, so it makes sense that the "timeless" RichardsDoom sequences take place more or less without them.
News & Articles
- Carla’s Corner: Shakespearean Sports
By Carla Kekejian Staff Writer Every week, my English class requires me to learn a certain number of vocabulary words, and complete poetry annotations for the not so pop quiz. Of my vocabulary words this week were denotation and connotation; denotation meaning the literal definition or meaning of a word and connotation meaning the extra [...]
Oct. 15, 2013 - New University
- Sergei Eisenstein in 411mania.com
In describing this elaborately staged sequence, Eisenstein writes, "step by step, by a process of comparing each new image with the common denotation, power is accumulated behind a process that can be formally identified with that of logical...