- n (psychology) an erroneous belief that is held in the face of evidence to the contrary
- n a mistaken or unfounded opinion or idea
he has delusions of competence
- n the act of deluding; deception by creating illusory ideas
- Critics call the Obamanon a mass, messianic delusion, and Obama's perceived aversion to policy specifics in key speeches and debates (along with his youth) has gotten him .
- They need a 1940s-style cop (Harrison Ford) to put a bullet through their delusion.
- PTI: Professor Dawkins, if one truly understands science, is God then a delusion, as your book title suggests? DAWKINS: The question of whether there exists a supernatural creator .
News & Articles
- The $250,000 Physical
People suffer from the delusion that the one percent get decent medical care and everyone else is left out in the cold,” says Michael Vassar, leaning forward on the couch in a borrowed apartment on 23rd Street.
June 17, 2013 - New York Magazine
- Robert David Jaffee: Attending My 30th High School Reunion as a Diagnosed Psychotic
Mental illness, like Hamlet, who may or may not be the only sane person in the play, is mysterious and paradoxical. And psychosis works the way nightmares do, by metaphor and symbolism. Delusions often stand in for something else.
June 17, 2013 - The Huffington Post
- Remodeling My House/Van
I never considered myself to be a messy person. Sure, I had a propensity to put things in “organized piles” and shove them aside to be dealt with later, but having an entire bedroom to enable a delusion of tidiness made it work for years. It wasn’t until the bulk of my clothing, office supplies, and the French press I stupidly anticipated needing my adventure in vandwelling were lying in a heap ...
June 14, 2013 - Willamette Week
- President Bush in International Herald Tribune
We have heard this foolish delusion before,Bush said. "As Nazi tanks crossed into Poland in 1939, an American senator declared, 'Lord, if only I could have talked to Hitler, all of this might have been avoided.' We have an obligation to...