- n an act that despoils the innocence or beauty of something
- n the act of depriving a woman of her virginity (especially by rupturing the hymen through sexual intercourse)
- The jargon too is erotic: "score," "down," "piling on" (gang rape), "popping" an opponent (overtones of defloration) and "sacking" the quarterback (plunder and rape).
- There is also a nasty ritual defloration sequence involving the girl he was supposed to marry before Mia came along.
- Readers who hope to find Oates' usual steamy sex scenes will have to get through some 380 pages of prissiness before reaching one, unless the defloration of the dressmaker's .