defense : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n (military) military action or resources protecting a country against potential enemies
they died in the defense of Stalingrad
they were developed for the defense program
- n protection from harm
sanitation is the best defense against disease
- n (sports) the team that is trying to prevent the other team from scoring
his teams are always good on defense
- n the justification for some act or belief
he offered a persuasive defense of the theory
- n (psychiatry) an unconscious process that tries to reduce the anxiety associated with instinctive desires
- n the federal department responsible for safeguarding national security of the United States; created in 1947
- n the defendant and his legal advisors collectively
the defense called for a mistrial
- n the speech act of answering an attack on your assertions
in defense he said the other man started it
- n an organization of defenders that provides resistance against attack
he joined the defense against invasion
- n a structure used to defend against attack
the artillery battered down the defenses
- n a defendant's answer or plea denying the truth of the charges against him
he gave evidence for the defense
- n the act of defending someone or something against attack or injury
a good boxer needs a good defense
defense against hurricanes is an urgent problem
- No one is as familiar with the frustrations of building missile defenses as Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld.
- When President Eisenhower submitted his record $41 billion defense budget to the Congress last January, he set his military jaw and let it be known that he would authorize no .
News & Articles
- Defense industry sees dip in mergers, acquisitions
The aerospace and defense industry saw a decline in mergers and acquisitions during the first part of the year as federal budget cuts set in, forcing the banks and financial advisers that facilitate those deals to reconsider their stomach for the sector.
June 25, 2013 - Fort Wayne Journal Gazette
- Defense: Trayvon Martin "viciously attacked" Zimmerman
Defense attorneys are making their opening arguments to a jury in the shooting death of unarmed Florida teen Trayvon Martin in a gated community last year
June 24, 2013 - CBS News
- Defense Consolidation: Who Gets Bought First?
As overseas wars wind down and legislatively mandated cuts to military spending begin to bite, everybody in the defense industry is beginning to ask how sector consolidation will unfold. When you only have one big customer -- the government -- and that customer starts slashing its purchases of goods and services, it's inevitable that some suppliers will choose to exit the business.
June 24, 2013 - Forbes
- Robert Gates in Wall Street Journal
But it didn't work. They passed the ball very well, they made us work very hard in the defense. When we finally won the ball, we were too tired to move quickly forward. They have been playing together for several years, they are very cohesive,... Miroslav Klose http://www.google.com/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miroslav_Klose&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNEQnZPQ8EXaz7srP3ErgByniQMUSg USA Today http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/2010-07-07-580666071_x.htm&source=dictionary&usg=AFQjCNEe76kquPIDdXT_pxY9dZUlqryRRQ Jul 7, 2010
25776 34597 defense Speaking for the Department of Defense, once the commander in chief makes his decisions, we will salute and execute those decisions faithfully and to the best of our ability," Mr. Gates said to the annual gathering of the Association of the...
- Barack Obama in AFP
Our new missile defense architecture in Europe will provide stronger, smarter, and swifter defenses of American forces and America's allies,Obama said at the White House.