- n the action of changing from colonial to independent status
- Said's theme is how the three big realities of empire -- imperialism, "native" resistance, decolonization -- helped shape, in particular, the English and French novel.
- African and Asian decolonization in the 1960s recognized states along borders set by colonial rulers.
- Sarkozy compares his new tax to other divisive issues in the country's recent history that went on to win public backing, from abolition of the death penalty to decolonization.
- Zulfikar Ali Bhutto in International Herald Tribune
Handing over the diamond, Bhutto said, "would be a convincing demonstration of the spirit that moved Britain voluntarily to shed its imperial encumbrances and lead the process of decolonization."
- Edward Said in Dissident Voice
The threat to independence in the late 20th century from the new electronics,wrote Edward Said in Culture and Imperialism, "could be greater than was colonialism itself. We are beginning to learn that decolonization was not the termination...