darkened : Definition, Usages, News and More
- v become dark or darker
The sky darkened
- v tarnish or stain
a scandal that darkened the family's good name
- v make dark or darker
- s (of fabrics and paper) grown dark in color over time
the darkened margins of the paper
- s become or made dark by lack of light
a darkened house
the darkened theater
- Partisans with tommy guns stood guard where Jajce's steep and darkened streets leave the town for the mountains.
- As the clever hopes expire Of a low dishonest decade: Waves of anger and fear Circulate over the bright And darkened.
- In our darkened, humid rooms, we huddled in dismay at the way our ancestral Japan had put a curse on all Japanese living in Hawaii.
News & Articles
- Fire forces evacuations near downtown Indianapolis
A huge industrial fire that darkened the skies over Indianapolis could continue to burn until Monday, or longer. The fire started Saturday afternoon at a downtown recycling plant and was fueled by propane tanks and massive stockpiles of rubber tires.…
June 16, 2013 - WGN TV Chicago
- Fallin says state's strong economic image survived deadly tornadoes
Oklahoma's positive image of having a strong economy and being a good state for businesses to locate and people to live won't be darkened despite two horrific tornadoes that struck the state days apart, Gov. Mary Fallin said.
June 16, 2013 - Tulsa World
- The 'Return' of the PC
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- A gloomy outlook has darkened the desktop computer industry for years after consumers switched first to laptops and now tablets. In the past three months, several news sites including Forbes, Fox Business and Salon reported the personal computer, or PC, is dying or dead. Then, this week, Apple shocked many by reaffirming its commitment to desktops. That's right: A new Mac ...
June 14, 2013 - TheStreet.com
- Dan Glickman in Boston Globe (registration)
It's certainly much cheaper than a psychiatrist,said Dan Glickman, who heads the Motion Picture Association of America. "To go into a darkened room where nobody can find you for two hours is great therapy, particularly when times are bad."
- Barack Obama in The Hill (blog)
One of those decisions was to provide critical funding to promising, innovative businesses like Smith Electric. And because we did, there is a thriving enterprise here instead of an empty, darkened warehouse,Obama said. "Because of the...
- Hugh Hefner in Los Angeles Times
The movies, other than family, were the major influence of my childhood,Hefner said. "I was in a very typical Midwestern, Methodist home with a lot of repression and not much demonstrative expression of emotion. My escape was the darkened...