damocles : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n the Greek courtier to Dionysius the Elder who (according to legend) was condemned to sit under a naked sword that was suspended by a hair in order to demonstrate to him that being a king was not the happy state Damocles had said it was (4th century BC)
News & Articles
- Blackhawks had 2010 champions in mind when putting team together
Everyone knew it was coming. Fans, players, coaches, management — everybody saw the writing on the wall, the Sword of Damocles swaying precariously overhead, the 10-ton anvil about to drop in the middle of Blackhawks’ dressing room, scattering key players to the far ends of the continent.So when the champagne dried and the TV cameras left and Joel Quenneville had a moment to think about what his ...
June 11, 2013 - Chicago Sun-Times
- Holmes Morton in FOX News
These children living with the sword of Damocles,Morton says. "They need treatment, not just research."
- Jarvis Cocker in Beehive City
Last week, 6 Music DJ Jarvis Cocker said of the Trust's indecision: "You've had such a lot of people speaking out, you should stick to your timetable and give an answer : It is not nice to have the Sword of Damocles hanging over the head of the...
- Louis Gallois in International Herald Tribune
We are at levels which are becoming unbearable,CEO Louis Gallois told reporters in Paris. "We cannot stay under this Damocles sword, which is starting to fall."