dam : Definition, Usages, News and More
- n a barrier constructed to contain the flow of water or to keep out the sea
- n a metric unit of length equal to ten meters
- n female parent of an animal especially domestic livestock
- v obstruct with, or as if with, a dam
dam the gorges of the Yangtse River
- South Korea rejected North Korea's explanation for a sudden, deadly release of dam water, saying Tuesday that Pyongyang should clarify more thoroughly and apologize for flooding .
- There's a movement afoot to pull down old or ecologically unsound dams, starting with this one.
- Four days after a dirt dam broke down in a crowded Jakarta suburb on March 27, killing at least 98, hundreds of residents and police scoured the neighborhood to look for the more .
News & Articles
- Dam Road closed due to construction
The Dillon Dam Road is closed until further notice for construction. Click back for updates.
June 13, 2013 - Summit Daily News
- How Egypt Might Try To Stop Ethiopia's Dam Project
Ethiopia's initiation of a dam project on the Blue Nile has quickly drawn the ire of Egypt, which is critically dependent on it as a source of much of the country's freshwater needs. As Egyptian Foreign Minister Mohamed Kamel Amr said June 9 following Ethiopia's refusal to halt construction of the dam and ahead of his trip to Addis Ababa to discuss the project, Egypt will not give up a "single ...
June 13, 2013 - Forbes
- Dam proposed Skykomish River near Index
INDEX, Wash. (AP) — The Snohomish Public Utility District faces opposition from environmentalists as it seeks federal permission to put a dam across the Skykomish River. The Everett-based utility is looking at a site near Sunset Falls and Canyon Falls, about a mile south of Index. The dam would generate enough electricity for about 10,000 homes.
June 12, 2013 - The Wenatchee World
- John McCain in TIME
Speaking a few hours after Obama's campaign reported raising a record $150 million in September, McCain said the overall sum the Democrat has raised for his campaign - $605 million - showed the "dam has broken" for future White House races.
- George Karl in USA Today
I thought the 11 points in the third quarter just kind of put a heavy weight on our shoulders,Denver coach George Karl said. "When the dam broke, it broke hard."
- Phil Koperberg in Ninemsn
Very little of the total volume of the water in Warragamba Dam, or Lake Burragorang, is affected,Mr Koperberg told ABC Radio. "It is in fact about three to four per cent - nowhere near the 50 per cent suggested. On current indications we...